Tuesday, October 2, 2012

This ams a metal albums.


 Gear expo!

First, here's my recording space.
It's my parents' motorhome, and while it's kinda cramped and awkward, it's SUPER cushy and private, and privacy is really important to me while recording. In the foreground is my busted old Macbook which I "gutted" of programs not pertaining to producing music or album art.
This is my main guitar for this project. It's an Ibanez RG370, and I have it downtuned to drop Bb. It sounds pretty wicked. 
A Peavey Bandit 112 solidstate amp. I'm not mic'ing this amp, but I'm running direct out from it to a USB interface.
 

This is my baby. My first electric guitar, bought from a pawnshop at 17. It's a 1984 Ibanez RoadStar II. One humbucker at the Floyd-Rose bridge. The funny thing is that the humbucker is actually swapped out from ANOTHER Ibanez Roadstar II (from 1986) that I own, but is in disrepair right now.

Also, it has this:
Yes, scalloped frets, from the 12th to the 22nd. It's weird, because I sanded those out many years ago without really knowing what I was doing, and now I seriously can't imagine playing this guitar without them. If you want to take a chance at totally destroying your guitar for a little more control and a LOT more comfort, I suggest this. But seriously, learn what you're doing first. I went about this like an idiot and am genuinely lucky it worked out.

For bass, I'm using my old Ibanez GSR200. Maybe you have noticed a certain pattern to the guitars I own. I have never meant to own only Ibanez guitars, but somehow it's always worked out that way. I have a Fender acoustic, if that counts for anything. Anyway, this bass was how I learned how a fretboard works (I played bass before I learned guitar).
The dirty trio. These are the three pedals I intend on using. A Danelectro reverse delay, Digitech Grunge, and Dunlop Cry Baby, from left to right. I have a couple of Behringer multi-fx pedals, but I'm trying not to use anything subpar (which, really, that Grunge pedal is cutting it close). I meant to have an EH Metal Muff at this point, but you know how these things go. I've used that reverse delay in LOTS of recordings, but I usually use it to build up layers of sound during solos. In this context, I'll definitely be doing some of that, but I'll be using it a little more subtly this time (which actually means more recognizably? It's weird).

Anyway, I'm done. We need more gear posts up in here!










1 comment:

  1. Dude, drive that thing into the mountains and record your album there.

    ReplyDelete