Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dun

And a 9th Record Time is complete.

I only got about 23 minutes this time, but I feel pretty good about the music.  If I had wanted to I could have stretched things out, extended intros and outros, repeated choruses a million more times, and written a lot of slow, ambient droning stuff to get it over the 30-minute mark, but I'd rather there be less well-composed music than more sub-par music. 

Stylistically the record is fairly diverse; it has some ukulele-driven indie-pop, a little 60's-era jazz, some textured ambient soundscapes (I know I just said above that I wasn't going to do that, but its pretty cool, and its only a little bit), all of the stuff a good Christmas record should have.  AND, its not just me singing this time, which is nice.

Parts of it are pretty rough around the edges (vocals especially, which is par for the course on my albums), but a lot of it turned out really cool.  It may sound vain, but I really like to listen back to the music I created durring Record Time.  On this one especially, parts of it give me goosebumps.  Of course, making that statement is putting it up on a pedistal, so I really hope somebody else thinks it sounds cool too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt any of my relatives will read this blog, but I do have quite a few friends reading it, so I need to make a disclaimer:
One of the songs on the record is about NOT wanting to see family for the holidays, about wanting to sleep in and and be by myself and relax and not see anyone. The song is completely hypothetical, and not based on my own feelings. In fact, one of the lines is "I'd rather watch the game instead". If any of you know me at all, you know that I have no interest in football whatsoever...

No comments:

Post a Comment