Thursday, October 4, 2012

Longboat is Long

Day 3 of Record Time, but only Day 2 of my Viking Metal epic!

Not a lot to report from last night, but I finished all the drums and heavy guitars. The album is clocking in at a whopping 32 minutes. It's all pretty slow, which helped a lot.

I've learned a ton already from RT9. I realized that instrumentation/production really have nothing to do with how ambitious an idea is. My piano/vocal only concept actually turned out to be too ambitious for Record Time. I was listening to a ton of Regina Spektor, James Taylor, and Carole King, thinking "I'll just write some of that." Egotistical much? In fact, I'm learning that the simpler the instrumentation, the more work it actually is. Lyrics matter more, performance matters more, structure, melody, everything. It might be true that in Record Time, you need at least one element that can be pretty much thrown by the wayside.

Anyway, the album is heavy. REAL heavy. And I've realized I have a secret weapon: my sister, who has agreed to supply some really over-the-top opera vocals to add to the epic factor (she's a vocal performance major). I've also got 4 days to find a Horn of Gondor-type thing.

I guess I'm toying with the idea of giving this album a story, because why not? It'll just be a bunch of pillaging, maybe someone gets betrayed by the gods and kills them, I dunno. I'll probably figure it out Saturday afternoon.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment