Monday, October 8, 2012

Hergen flergen blergen

Welp, Record Time is over and my album is 99.99% done. I'm just waiting on my sister to send me her vocals, which I have to mix in real quick.

The album is called BLOD I HIMMELEN by my new Viking side project, MERKELIG BATTERI. For those of you who don't speak Norwegian, that's Blood in Heaven by Strange Battery. According to Google Translate, obviously.

Been messing with the mastering, and I honestly don't understand how people get their recordings so loud. I'm sure Logan will win again. I literally pumped mine up almost 20 dB, then I put on some Meshuggah for reference, and it still blew mine away. I just don't get it. Mine still isn't distorting...it just doesn't feeeel right to crank it up any higher. Might just have to suck it up and do it anyway.

Anyways, it seems like this was a pretty crazy Record Time. Everybody I've talked to had some major issues, myself included. My album turned out quite well. Unfortunately this isn't the type of album I can show off to my friends and family -- it was for me and me only, and I was basically channeling my inner high schooler. As far as my successes and failures:

GOOD: Got a pretty heavy sounding record, played the drums live, managed to get an arguably "Viking" atmosphere throughout. Did the whole thing in 6 days rather than 7. Got to include my sister on it. Hit 32 minutes, a new Record Time...er...record. For me at least.

BAD: Ran out of steam before I could properly finish all my vocals. The entire thing is technically out of tune by around 7 cents, which is awesome in a way but hurt the vocals somewhat. Lyrics are a bit boring at times. Probably could have spent more time mixing.

The good far outweighs the bad. This doesn't have anything totally brilliant on it, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a loooooooong time. So it feels good to get it out there and open up a new slot for insane back-burner ideas. I really have no idea what to expect out of myself anymore, which is an interesting feeling. Who knows what'll happen next time around! Making things is so weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment