Friday, October 5, 2012

Queens of the Machine

Pretty good Day 4! I've got all the guitars, drums, and bass done. Now I just have to do keyboards and vocals, although I have no idea how either of those things will fit in.

I'm fully prepared to destroy my voice for this thing. I have a very loud "shouting" voice that I'm planning on using, and while I've used it in small amounts on past records, it'll probably be about 50% of the vocals on this one. So that's a little scary. Hopefully it pays off.

I originally thought this would be a pretty inaccessible album, but I'm actually starting to think some non-metal fans might enjoy it. It's still really heavy, but the bass added a lot more of a "groove" to it, and it sounds almost a little more hard-rockish now. I think the keyboards will get it back to a more Viking sound, but in it's current state it's got a lot of Rage Against the Machine and/or Queens of the Stone Age influence.

Technically, it sounds most like a band I used to love called Giant Squid...basically a heavier version of this:


There's nothing I'd rather be doing on a Friday night than recording keyboards for a Viking album. No joke. Can't wait to get back to work tonight.

1 comment: